Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

January 1-4 2012 Movie Recap

Because I slacked so much last year on watching movies (at least, I feel like I did), I decided to make it up this year by watching at least one film a day.  I will be doing a re-cap of the movies I watch and will contain a short blurb of what I thought (in addition to any reviews I may have already written in that week... but in this past week, I wrote none).  Depending on how many films I watch in any given week, I might split up the post.  This one will be in two parts.

January 1
Machete (2010)
 

Plot: 
"After being set-up and betrayed by the man who hired him to assassinate a Texas Senator, an ex-Federale launches a brutal rampage of revenge against his former boss."- IMDB

I really enjoyed Machete.  Probably more than any person should, especially since it originally wasn't even supposed to be made (it was one of the fake trailers for Grindhouse).  There is just something about a gritty, violent, and campy film that makes me squeal with joy.  I love Robert Rodriguez and no amount of film schooling can make that change (they tried hard).  It's low-brow, yes, but it's fun to watch.  You might even get a moral or two involving immigrants out of it.

January 2
Wake Wood (2011)


Plot:
"The parents of a girl who was killed by a savage dog are granted the opportunity to spend three days with their deceased daughter."- IMDB

I read an article about this one in Rue Morgue and I thought it sounded interesting.  It's a quaint Irish horror flick that really left no imprint on me... and after a week has gone by, I really can't remember my initial thoughts on it.

January 3
Little Fugitive (1953)
 

Plot:
"Joey, a young boy, runs away to Coney Island after he is tricked into believing he has killed his older brother."-IMDB

What happens when you take a little boy that loves horses and let him run around Coney Island for a day?  Don't let your imagination run too wild or you'll be very, very wrong.  If you have home movies of your own family at an amusement park, you might enjoy that more...  If it was 1953 and I liked kids, my opinion of this might be different.

January 4
Gnomeo and Juliet (2011)

Plot:
Romeo and Juliet with garden gnomes.

Elton John paid for it and he wants you to know it.  It's kind of like Shakespeare vomited Elton John all over Toy Story (with the stomach acid corroding any saving plot dynamics)... and that's really all you need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment